Finishing the Conservatory

For the last stages of making the conservatory I needed to sort out the interior. Sticking with my idea of doing this project on he cheap, for the conservatory plants I had the idea of using real plants. Possibly a mad idea and as it turned out, not without its problems.

The plants I chose were simple weeds, but I tried to pick ones that had small leaves to try and get them to match the 28mm scale. In theory the plants would only need to survive 24 hours since the conservatory only had to look it's best at the SALUTE show (2011). Even so I ran a test batch a couple of weeks before the show to see which plants survived the best.

Because I went with real plants I needed to make the planters like real flower beds able to hold a layer of soil and be water tight so that I could water the plants if required. For this I used more of the plastic card and created three cradles and lined them with the remaining brickwork I had. The benefit of making the flower beds separately was that they could be repositioned for different layouts in the conservatory.

As previously mentioned I wanted the flower beds to be waterproof and so spread some more of the PVA glue around the joins. I then painted them the same as I had done the interior wall of the conservatory.

Then I had a bit of a disaster. The finished flower beds looked great but the problem I encountered was al my test plants were planted in soil an inch deep. The conservatory flower beds were only 10mm deep. I simply had forgotten this aspect of using real plants. So to get round this I stuck in some suports to rest the plants against. For the taller ones I even glued or tied then to the supports.

Because the theme for the game was spooky, haunted and monster infested I dug out some old Games Workshop zombies I had and tested using them as victims. In the end I painted two zombies up and positioned them tangled up in the flower beds.

With the plants all done I started to add some more scenery pieces. First up was a tree stump that I fashioned as a sacrificial alter. I wanted to make a victorian style park bench but ran out of time and so just added piles of chopped logs.

The very last stage of building the conservatory was to add wall paper to the part of the model that would form the inside of the whole manor house. The wallpaper was choosen by one of the other room builders and sent out to everyone else to make sure it was uniform. I hate wallpapering but this was easy and I was able to make a few mistakes which just looked in keeping with the rest of the model.

And so to the finished model. Here we see the conservatory taking up its corner position of the manor, next to the Billiard room and Ballroom.

And so to the finished model. Here we see the conservatory in all its glory amongst the entire manor (picture courtesy of Joe Denver's Salute write up). I think the achievement of Frothers members in creating 11 different rooms in isolation and being able to bring it altogether on the day was superb. And I was very pleased with my effort and look forward to doing another similar project.